[su_spoiler title=”Dare to Sing: from The Happiness Fix: Uke 2″ style=”fancy”]
1 – The Heart of the Matter: Nobody has a ‘bad’ voice.
• Don’t be afraid
• Nobody has a bad voice – just a voice with character
• It’s all about how much you love the song.
• Find a song… listen to it a lot … then sing along… until you know the words by heart. Walking and singing is a good way to memorize songs.
2 – Before the Basics: sing a lot, in the shower, in the car, turn up the volume!
• Get used to singing with chords
• Use full breath when singing
• Look up song lyrics and chords on Ultimate Guitar or find a song in a book to copy and share… preferably something easy.
3 – Get Started: how to play in a jam
• Know the song: introduce key, chords, speed
• Count everyone in – and tell them how before you do it.
• How to finish – signal a stop, three chord flourish
• Pick a song, and learn to introduce it… key, chords, start/finish.
4 – Digging Yourself Deeper: use multiple methodologies and coaches
• By ear
• Note Reading
• Share your favourite youtube discoveries.
5 – Ambitious Beginners: get off the page
• Learn the song / chords by heart – at least the chorus
• Play along with youtube: onsong, itunes, slowdowner
6 – Past the Point of No Return: take a break
• How to take a break
• Prepare the melody and play a break after the chorus.
7 – Survival
• Go looking for songs to share.
• In a Jam go prepared with one good song that everyone will know
.. and more: go looking for songs and sounds you love
Arpeggio Meditation by Daniel Ward, a Los Angeles-based ukulele player & teacher. Harry, a friend of ours, shared it with us, as he’d heard about this in Ukulele magazine. He’s been playing it daily for a couple of weeks now, and Harry says that his finger dexterity is really improving.